What does this mean?
Given the description of the problem and the vehicle mileage, it is most likely related to the evaporative emission system. The evaporative emissions system ensures fuel vapors do not escape the fuel system, causing environmental damage. There are a number of components in the evaporative emission system that could cause the light to come on. It's hard to be 100% sure until a mechanic arrives onsite. We've listed quotes for a diagnosis. Once a mechanic arrives they will diagnose the vehicle. Then we will send you a quote to repair the issue, and you can decide whether or not to move forward. If you choose not to move forward with the repair, you'll only be charged for the diagnosis.
On a scale of 1 to 10, we rate this to have an urgency of 5. Some repairs have very low urgency, and we give those a 1. With these repairs, you can wait for as long as you would like, because it will not ever result in harm to you or your vehicle. These are usually cosmetic damages.
We consider a 5 to be something that will eventually need to be done, but you can likely get away with holding off for a while if other things are more pressing. However, if a repair is close to a 10 (or at a 10), this means you should NOT be driving the vehicle, and should get this repaired as soon as possible.
What happens if I wait?
While unlikely, the problem could be more serious than the evaporative emission system. If you were looking for peace of mind, you might consider getting the problem diagnosed sooner rather than later (even if you don’t get it fixed). If you’re really tight on cash, you can wait a few months before getting the issue looked into.
How complicated is this repair?
- This job has no tools required, and can be completed by just about anyone.
- This requires a relatively handy person, but little experience working on cars exclusively.
- This warrants an average person who’s done a fair amount of car repair. Think the weekend mechanic who’s done a brake job or two!
- At this difficulty, the average mechanic could do the job, but you wouldn't want to do it yourself without a fair amount of experience.
- This job is very specialized, requiring very expensive tools only a specialty shop has and a high level of expertise.