What does this mean?
There is a problem with the engine controller. If the car is not shaking or running poorly, it’s probably related to the emissions system. Generally, we can be more precise, however this is one of the few circumstances that requires a mechanic to inspect the car to precisely diagnose the problem. We’ve listed quotes for a diagnosis. Once a mechanic arrives they will inspect the vehicle and figure out the issue. Once diagnosed, The Car Savior will review the quote for further work with the mechanic to make sure you’re getting a fair price for the repair and to make sure the vehicle was correctly diagnosed. Then we will send you a quote to repair the issue. You can decide whether or not to move forward with further repairs.
On a scale of 1 to 10, we rate this to have an urgency of 6. Some repairs have very low urgency, and we give those a 1. With these repairs, you can wait for as long as you would like, because it will not ever result in harm to you or your vehicle. These are usually cosmetic damages.
We consider a 5 to be something that will eventually need to be done, but you can likely get away with holding off for a while if other things are more pressing. However, if a repair is close to a 10 (or at a 10), this means you should NOT be driving the vehicle, and should get this repaired as soon as possible.
What happens if I wait?
You should get it checked out soon, if nothing else to make sure the problem isn't urgent. If you were looking to conserve cash, you could probably wait a few months to get it checked out. If the car starts shaking, you should get it checked out immediately.
How complicated is this repair?
- This job has no tools required, and can be completed by just about anyone.
- This requires a relatively handy person, but little experience working on cars exclusively.
- This warrants an average person who’s done a fair amount of car repair. Think the weekend mechanic who’s done a brake job or two!
- At this difficulty, the average mechanic could do the job, but you wouldn't want to do it yourself without a fair amount of experience.
- This job is very specialized, requiring very expensive tools only a specialty shop has and a high level of expertise.