What does this mean?
It sounds like your backup camera isn’t working all of the time. With modern radio, this is often a software problem stemming from hardware that’s failing or completely failed. In many cases, disconnecting the car’s main battery terminal for 10 minutes and reconnecting will reset the software. Normally the camera will work again for some period of time. It could be years or minutes before it fails again. It’s hard to know. Without dealer equipment, it’s difficult to be 100% sure of the issue. It is most likely the camera that has failed or is failing. The camera is subjected to a lot of heat and dirt on the back of the car. Failure is common, especially in cold weather. We’ve listed quotes to replace the camera. It is not a guaranteed fix but is much cheaper than taking the car to the dealer and having it diagnosed.
On a scale of 1 to 10, we rate this to have an urgency of 1. Some repairs have very low urgency, and we give those a 1. With these repairs, you can wait for as long as you would like, because it will not ever result in harm to you or your vehicle. These are usually cosmetic damages.
We consider a 5 to be something that will eventually need to be done, but you can likely get away with holding off for a while if other things are more pressing. However, if a repair is close to a 10 (or at a 10), this means you should NOT be driving the vehicle, and should get this repaired as soon as possible.
What happens if I wait?
We'd recommend trying to reset the software with battery first to see if it fixes the issue. If that doesn't work, consider replacing the camera and hope that it works.
How complicated is this repair?
- This job has no tools required, and can be completed by just about anyone.
- This requires a relatively handy person, but little experience working on cars exclusively.
- This warrants an average person who’s done a fair amount of car repair. Think the weekend mechanic who’s done a brake job or two!
- At this difficulty, the average mechanic could do the job, but you wouldn't want to do it yourself without a fair amount of experience.
- This job is very specialized, requiring very expensive tools only a specialty shop has and a high level of expertise.